Inspiration

Inspiration

Friday, February 3, 2017

Workout Types

How do I do it?  What do I do?  How did I go from 172.6 to 139.6 in about 365 days.

Number 1: EATING!  I ate right.  I started eating more of the right food groups and avoiding the ones I should avoid.  This is a daily struggle for me...if I would love to live on unhealthy foods...but I wouldn't be living, I'd be essentially doing the opposite.

Number 2: WORK!  Work work work!  I worked it out!  I did all sorts of workouts!  I didn't just stick to one.  Here is a preview of ALL the different workout activities I have tackled in the past 365+ days (in no particular order...but sort've alphabetical):


First, I used mainly Beachbody programs.  It wasn't until recently I decided to become a coach.  I had some wonderful coaches surrounding me (literally, I have 3 coaches within a block surrounding my house).  This was the best decision, for me.  I can't justify a gym membership and being away from my boy, J, any more than I already am.  Beachbody is great because you can do it anywhere, especially in my living room after putting my boy to bed.


Then, I joined a Challenge Group!  Talk about accountability!  Daily check ins.  Daily suggestions and goals.  I even WON a challenge!

Now, into the meat of it!

21 Day Fix.  These workouts came with the food program which I 500% recommend!  CHANGED MY LIFE!  Changed how I eat and view food...and does so in a way I feel comfortable explaining to my child without feeling like I'm teaching him bad food habits or thoughts about dieting.

The exercises....gotta admit, at first, I did NOT love them!  But after a few weeks I was able to do ALL the moves (not just the modified versions) and I was feeling great and feeling stronger.  I didn't like them mainly because they were workouts...other programs (you'll see below) were more "fun" and this was more "business."  I grew to like this program though, a lot.

These workouts are only 30 minutes long (HUGE PLUS) and consist of rounds.  Sometimes it's 4 rounds of 2 exercises each round, sometimes it's 2 rounds of 4 exercises each round.  You do an exercise for 60 seconds (just one minute) then rest for 10-15 seconds before moving onto the next.  Each round is repeated twice.

Equipment needed (not required): yoga mat or floor pad, light weights, heavy weights, resistance bands.

This one is pretty crazy.  I have only done it a handful of times, but if I've done it once, I'm sharing it!  It's a short one, but pretty high intensity (modifications are available and shown in EVERY program I have done)!  This one is boot camp style.  All the people in the workouts are in military uniform and combat boots!

Equipment needed: NONE

I LOVE the instructor Chalene Johnson.  She does Chalean, TurboJam, TurboKick, PiYo and more!

This is muscle training.  It's slow and low reps with high weights.  I haven't done this often but do plan on adding more weight training breaks into my routines, it's good for your body!

Equipment needed: Weights, typically heavier weights because of the workouts but small weights work just as well (for starting anyway)
Cize!  Boy do I LOVE this one!  There are some longer workouts though so not one I always have time for and with some foot and shoe issues I have had it's been a harder one for me to be able to do, but I think I've finally fixed those issues and can incorporate this all back into my regiment again.

This one is so fun and J does it with me occasionally as well.  It's dance!  You basically learn a whole dance routine, 8 counts at a time.  You learn 8 counts, then do you 8 counts.  You learn the next 8 counts then you put that together, adding until you've learned a whole routine.  At the end you do the whole routine, to music, usually 3 times.  CARDIO!  This works up a sweat and is fun!  If it's not fun and you don't enjoy it, you won't do it (more on that later)!

Equipment needed: NONE

Core de Force!  My newest obsession!  Yes, it's an obsession and addiction!  Can you say IN-TENSE!?!?!  WoW!  This workout really packs a punch!  Even the 27 minute, 6 rounds of MMA moves workout is KILLER!  Add to it my weighted gloves for some extra power and I get in a GREAT workout!  Most of these workouts you learn a combination (2-4 moves including punches, kicks, elbows, ducks, knees, etc) and do that for 90 seconds (or is it 60 seconds...let's say 60-90 seconds...I believe it's 90), then you do a 30 second POWER move (usually a high cardio move like high knees or jumps or something), then you go back to the 60-90 seconds of combination move, and end the round with the power move.  Then you get a 30 second break.  THIS WORKOUT IS NO JOKE!

Equipment needed: NONE, though I enjoy adding my weighted gloves.

Oh Country Heat!  Done by Autumn who also does 21 Day Fix.  Think line dancing fun!  Sometime last year a girlfriend of mine drug me out to a local Western "Club" (I guess) and we went dancing.  The first hour or so they taught us some new routines then we just danced the rest of the night.  It was quite a workout....imagine this in your own own, that's Country Heat!  The workouts are around 30 minutes long and you learn an 8 count move, then learn another, then put them together.  Then you forget those two moves and move onto another set.  Some moves are pretty crazy.  A fun way to breakup the mundane!

Equipment needed: NONE

OH BOY!  Insanity, is just like what it sounds!  SUPER HIGH CARDIO!  I have only done it once or twice, it's not for the faint of heart (but it does have modifications like the other programs).  Running, Jumping Jacks, High Kicks, Push Ups, Sit Ups, etc, etc, etc!  Go, Go, Go!  CRAZY!  Not a favorite but a good one to throw in there occasionally to measure my fitness level.

Equipment needed: NONE

Park workouts!  This one isn't Beachbody (encase you were wondering) and this picture isn't of my exact park.  In the summer, sometimes I'll go use the workout equipment at the park and let my boy play.  He gets some park time, I get in a workout, WIN WIN!  The only problem with this I'm usually sweating HORRIBLY because the only time I can usually go is when it's 100+ degrees outside (or it at least feels that hot).

Equipment needed: Provided

PiYo and I have a love-hate relationship.  I haven't done the PiYo videos, but I have done this LIVE in the park with the amazing Caitlin, my neighbor.  It's brutal, one session and you can't walk for a week!  Think moving yoga...ish.  Caitlin (when she can) likes to teach this at the park so the kids can play while we workout.  In the winter we'll do PiYo (or TurboKick, similar to TurboFire, see below) at the neighborhood church and let the kids run around while we workout.

Equipment needed: yoga mat, especially if you do this outside this is a must!

Good Old Fashion Running!  This goes back to my earlier comment that if you don't LOVE something you won't do it.  I have never been a huge fan of running but tried to pick it back up this past summer, did really good for a month or so (even during "vacation")!  The fresh air and the "getting out" and about was great, especially on vacation!  Eventually my body rebelled and I stopped running but continued other workouts.  I was using a "Couch to 5K" app program which told me when to walk and when to run to build up to running a 5K, very helpful.

Equipment needed: NONE (except a good pair of shoes and tunes help)

Shakeology, this isn't a workout but a tool I used off and on.  Packed full of super-foods!  A great boost after a good hard workout.  I add extra fruit and turn it into a smoothie on the weekend.  YUM!

T25!  This one is by Shaun T who also does Insanity and Cize (and others).  The concept here is SIMPLE (not "easy" but simple).  Focus your body and mind for 25 minutes by building moves.  Example: First you march for 60 seconds, then you high knee march for 60 seconds, then you high knee jog for 60 seconds...then you move onto the next progression (modifications here too).  In the middle of the workout you do a BURN OUT where you do all the final progression moves together, 30-60 seconds each.  Quick but high intensity workouts.

Equipment needed: NONE

Going a LITTLE out of order here I'm going to mention TurboJam before TurboFire (they're sisters).  TurboJam is FUN, dancy, punchy moves.  I have been doing TurboJam workouts since 2010!  I love them.  They make working out fun.  Workouts are anywhere from 20-30 minutes to 45-55 minutes long.  Good variety in between, something for when you have lots of time and something for when you don't have a lot of time.  These workouts have at least one TURBO in the middle of the workouts (some have more).  Turbos are 60-90 seconds of HIGH CARDIO!  Great music with these workouts too.  I will say this, this is a Beachbody "Classic" workout and it does have some cheesy parts sometimes, but just go with it.

Equipment needed: Depends on the work.  Some require a yoga or floor mat, weighted gloves are a nice addition for all workouts.  There are some workouts specifically for weights (light ish) and resistance bands too.  I believe there is even a workout for a medicine ball, but I've never done those workouts.

TurboFire, the new and improved and WAY MORE INTENSE sister to TurboJam.  TURN UP THE HEAT on this one!  Lots of Turbos, much higher intensity!  What I also like is the HIGH calorie burn in a short workout.  Most are 20-35 minutes, great when you're short on time but don't want to short yourself.

Equipment needed: NONE (I don't believe, maybe a few will progress into resistance bands, etc, but I don't think so, I could be wrong)

3 Week Yoga Retreat.  If you remember my earlier post on this (click here) I'm not a huge Yoga fan, but I tried it.  These weren't very long just weren't "intense" enough for me.  There were simplified moves as well.

Equipment needed:  Yoga mat, maybe yoga blocks or a towel to assist in some moves depending on your level.

Final one...WALKING!  I've been doing this for awhile (since I was one years old....lol) at work.  I have a group of walking buddies and we try to take a 20 minute walk twice a day each day at work.  Breaks up the day and gets our blood pumping (especially since we sit at desks all day).  Depending on the group I go with it's not usually anything spectacular.  One girl I walk with is very slow, I'd like to walk faster but I figure walking at all is better than not and it's good for her to walk so I don't complain and I get my "real" workout at home later.  When it's nice we go outside and when I go with the other group we usually book it at a pretty good pace.  There are occasions when this is the only workout I get that day...better than nothing!  MOVE YOUR BUTT!

Equipment Needed:  NONE (except good shoes, good friends and/or music)

SOOOO many options to choose from.  Some nights I spend some time trying to figure out which workout I'm in the mood for.  What do I love most about Beachbody?



THIS AMAZING OPTION!  (sorry about all the white space around the logo)  It used to be billed at $35 or $40 (can't remember) per quarter for access to a limited amount of programs.  Typically just the classics and any programs you purchase.  Now, you get EVERYTHING!  Every-Single Beachbody workout currently released and everything AS it's released for just $99 PER YEAR!  Let's look at this...

I LOVE this image!  Look at the price difference!  But you say "but what does Beachbody really offer me for that price?"  Here is a list of all the workout programs available TODAY with BOD:


  1. 3 Week Yoga Retreat*
  2. Beachbody Yoga Studio
  3. Fixate (cooking show)
  4. 21 Day Fix Extreme
  5. 21 Day Fix
  6. T25*
  7. P90X-3
  8. P90X-2
  9. P90X
  10. P90X One on One
  11. The 20's
  12. 10 Minute Trainer
  13. Brazil Butt Lift
  14. Brazil Butt Lift Carnivale
  15. Brazil Butt Lift Master Series
  16. Insanity*
  17. Insanity, The Asylum
  18. Insanity, The Asylum Volume 2
  19. Tai Cheng
  20. TurboFire*
  21. Hip Hop Abs
  22. ChaLean Extreme*
  23. Autumn's BOD Exclusives*
  24. Tony's BOD Exclusives
  25. Sagi's BOD Exclusives
  26. Jericho's BOD Exclusives
  27. Joel's BOD Exclusives
  28. Active Maternity
  29. Slim 6
  30. Rocking' Body
  31. Rev Abs
  32. TurboJam*
  33. Toga Booty Ballet
  34. Total Body Solution
  35. Power Half Hour
  36. Power 90
  37. Project: YOU! Type 2
  38. Great Body Guaranteed
  39. Ho' Alake Kino "Awaken the Body"
  40. 22 Minute Hard Corps*
  41. Cize*
  42. Core de Force*
  43. County Heat*
  44. PiYo*
AND MORE being released everyday!  There is something for EVERYONE!  And I put an * by all the ones I have tried...I haven't even touched the surface of what's available!  The sky is the limit!

What's stopping you from starting your journey?  My number 1 tip: SUPPORT!  You need a support group!  I have tried this before without a support group (I didn't need one) and I can tell you honestly it makes a HUGE difference!  I am sure I abused my support team!  Caitlin, Amy, and Amy...I peppered them with the most annoying and frustrating questions....I KNOW I did!  But they were kind and patient and I just worked right on through my "issues" and worked it out.

Jess Because...Fitness DOES Matter!

No comments:

Post a Comment